Friday, August 26, 2011

First impressions

We have been here since Sunday morning, so it's only been five days. Our flat is on the third floor of a building in a nice part of Maadi (called Maadi Degla), street 200 near 210; several of the buildings on the street are owned by the US Embassy, and we are around the corner from "the" American school for K-12. Our flat has a large living and dining room facing the street, three bedrooms, one full bath and washing machine, and a powder room. Its layout is long rather than wide. As a university property, it's very beige and devoid of decorations other than rather generic "oriental" rugs in each room. We will be working on making it more attractive but it is certainly functional.
Since I started off running with new faculty orientation, we have spent little time exploring the neighborhood, but what we have seen is pretty--lots of trees (not common here), nice apartment buildings, and the villa or two between. Cairo in general is hot, seriously hot, polluted, and dusty; the traffic is beyond the imagination of the most jaded New Yorker; and walking is a blood sport since there are few sidewalks and one must walk in the streets.
The AUC campus is very different (well, still really hot) but splendid and beautiful and vast. I've spent a lot of time trotting or slogging from one end to the other, filling out forms, finding rooms, etc.  I pulled photos off their website to give you an idea. I've been so busy that taking my own photos just has not happened yet.
Despite the heat, no women wear shorts, short skirts, or sleeveless tops. On campus, the visual disjunction of girls in headscarves, lots of eye makeup, and cigarette jeans is curious. Lots of western dress as well, and on campus, anything goes--but in Cairo, I wear sleeves.
This is not a city for sissies, particularly during the holy month of Ramadan, when working hours are curtailed and stores usually closed. However, there is a French version of Wal-Mart that is open on Fridays (normally a holy day), and we are engaging in major retail therapy today. Fingers crossed that we return with a microwave, household stuff, and some nice pillows!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kids, Sounds like your "work" is cut out for you. The teaching part, a piece of cake, but the other stuff....could be fun. The Hurricane has started and I am really scared. It looks bad but there is nothing I can do so just keep me in your prayers and know that I LOVE YOU both so very much. Will try and keep you posted if I can, but the electricity is going to go out from all that I hear and could be out for 2 weeks or so. Gosh, I hope not that long. Even on Bonaire it was not out for that long. Short periods are okay but not 2 weeks or more. I am not sure why I am so scared but I am. Enough of that, your home sounds nice, and the way I know you can fix it up it can't wait to see the before and after picture. "TC"

    ReplyDelete